This technique is used with a straight rigid blade as opposed to a flexible blade which is what a “shaving” blade or razor is. A rigid blade not only removes vellus hair or peach fuzz, it is designed to remove several weeks of dead surface cells as well. You should not try and dermplane your own face because the blade needs to be held at a 45 degree angle and the skin must be held taught. It is very easy to knick your skin if this technique is not properly done.
It is physiologically impossible for vellus hair to grow back thicker. The soft, fine vellus hair will grow back slowly – usually in about 4 weeks.
There are two types of hair that grow on our bodies: Vellus hair is the thin, fine, soft hair that typically covers the entire body. Terminal hair is the course hair that grows on the head, face in men, underarms, legs and pubic areas. Dermaplaning, waxing, tweezing or any other depilatory form of hair removal cannot alter the type of hair grown in any given area.
Top 10 reasons why Dermaplaning is good for you:
1. Gentle exfoliation good for all skin types and Fitzpatrick’s
2. Vellus (peach fuzz) hair is removed
3. Increased penetration of active ingredients in anti-aging treatments
4. Increased absorption of active ingredients helps home care products work better so you see results faster
5. Can be combined with other anti-aging treatments such as chemical peels, micro-current, oxygen infusion, LED and other light therapies
6. Healthier, more youthful looking and feeling skin
7. Comfortable, relaxing treatment
8. No down-time
9. Makeup glides on easily and less is needed for a youthful, natural glow
10. Skin photographs beautifully, so it’s the perfect treatment right before high profile events.
Dermaplaning is a 30-minute treatment to get a great exfoliation, but you can also combine it with enzymes and peel to make it more effective.
Book an appointment and see how great it is and you’ll be hooked!